Halloween might get less scary as we age, but there are a lot of frightening aspects of retirement in 2018. In fact, recent data on the state of America’s workforce shows just how underprepared for retirement many Americans are.
While running out of money, drastic lifestyle changes, and the cost of healthcare are among Americans’ greatest retirement fears, here are some figures on where Americans stand:
- 50%+ of all of Americans report their access to retirement plans and products has flatlined or decreased in the last decade.
- Roughly 40% of all workers will have to work in their retirement years.
- More than 40% of pre-retirees have significantly adjusted their lifestyle choice and spending to be able to retire.
With healthcare, taxes, and employer-funded retirement plans all in a state of flux in 2018, this fall is the perfect time to take stock of where you stand in retirement. You can overcome the scariest aspects of retirement planning this Halloween season by checking out these helpful tips:
- Build a balanced portfolio—One option to mitigate risk in your portfolio is to add a more conservative product like a fixed indexed annuity (FIA). An FIA offers guaranteed lifetime income, helping to ease the stress of having to cover unexpected expenses for longer than anticipated.
- Make a personal budget—People who plan can feel confident that they will likely end up saving more. Travel and healthcare expenses may increase during retirement so be sure to take that into account too.
As Americans are living longer than ever, it is important they take steps now to plan for the future. Fortunately, there are strategies and products available like fixed indexed annuities that offer guaranteed lifetime income, helping to ease the stress of having to cover unexpected costs for longer than anticipated. Don’t let your fear prevent you from taking control of your golden years.